Residential Counsellor - casual/relief
Under the general supervision of the Executive Director, performs support counselling, advocacy and general housekeeping tasks as well as maintaining a safe and secure environment on a call-in/casual basis.
Must be available on short notice. Three rotating shifts (days/afternoons/nights).
- When requested, to provide feminist support counselling to women.
- To allow women to fully express her/their feelings, concerns and decisions.
- To assist the women to identify their own needs.
- To provide needed resources to women.
- To assist women in familiarizing themselves with community agencies and mandates.
- To explain what is expected of the women in the House.
- To assist with problem-solving skills in ‘in-house’ interpersonal relationships.
- At all times, to provide support that is empowering of women.
- At all times, to present a respectful manner.
Safety and Confidentiality
- To provide a safe, home-like atmosphere for the residents.
- To maintain all standards of safety, for the protection of the residents.
- To answer the door and phone in such a manner as to ensure residents confidentiality and safety.
- To do all necessary paper work applicable to the service to clients – intake, files, logs, etc. in a neat and concise manner.
- To keep in confidence all files and paper work directly related to women and children.
- Upon request, to assist individual women with appointment making and attendance.
- To ensure safe transportation for children.
- To make appropriate referral to agencies within the community.
- Upon request, to intervene on behalf of individual women with uncooperative agencies.
- Upon request, to provide advocacy to women always with the intent to empower her in her decision-making process.
- To be responsible to the overall orderliness of the House, and ensure that all daily chores are done by residents. When necessary, to assist women with housekeeping tasks.
- To cooperate with other staff in compiling grocery lists and doing weekly menus with the women.
- In a timely manner, to report to the Executive Director any house problems which affect the safety, sanitation or standards regarding the House.
- To coordinate and assist with the collection, sorting, storage and disbursement of all donations.
- To prepare meals, when required.
- To maintain the grounds of the House.
- To maintain floors and shampoo rugs.
- When required, to ensure minor maintenance jobs such as unclogging sinks and toilets, interior painting, changing light bulbs, etc.
- To work cooperatively with mothers and the child care worker in keeping in touch with the needs of the children in the House.
- To provide input to the childcare worker of any significant observations concerning children residents.
- To provide a positive non-violent role model to women in interaction with children.
- When requested, to provide parenting information and problem solving.
- To provide encouragement and support to women who are single parenting.
- To never assume the mother’s role with her children.
- To perform other related tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
This position entails direct hands on work. Working conditions will vary from an indoor, quiet environment to outdoor work in varied temperatures. Physical demands require lifting, cleaning and long periods of intense concentration.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
Assaulted Women and Children’s Counsellor/Advocate diploma or an equivalent in education and experience. Two years counselling women both one to one and in-group situations. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Must have valid First Aid/CPR at date of application.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, proof of First Aid/CPR certification and certificates of completed education/training.
Letters of references would be considered an asset.
Applications will be accepted via email: email@example.com or post:
ATTN: Hiring Committee
This posting will remain on our web site as we hire on an as-required basis. Any interested applicants are encouraged to apply. Please note that contact may not occur until a hiring occurs.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.