So many people believe that a women's shelter is only a place to live when someone is physically assaulted...
Marjorie House can help individuals in so many ways. How?
- If you need a safe place to live because of violence we can provide you and your children shelter while supporting your choices
- We offer 24 hour crisis intervention services
- When a women is in a relationship where abuse is occurring (any form of abuse - physical, financial, emotional, sexual, isolation...) and needs someone to talk to - we are here to listen. You can call the shelter at any time 24/7
- If you know someone that is in an abusive relationship and you don't know what to do - call us and we can help you with how to talk to him/her
- Any women can go to the shelter in person and a counsellor will be ready to talk - no matter what is going on. They will either work with you at the shelter or at times will help you find another agency that can help
- If you are in crisis and need a way to get to the shelter just call and we will help you to arrive at the shelter safely
- If you have a child in school that is struggling because of bullying or coping with violence in their lives, a counsellor can work one on one with your child at school
- If you have children that you are concerned about that have been exposed to violence you can attend Mother 2 Mother, Child 2 Child with them. This is a ten week program to help mothers work with their children on learning about what they have experienced - and healing - together
- If you aren't sure what you want to do but you know you need to be safe - the counsellors can help you to plan to keep you and your family safe
- If you are separating or are thinking about separation, the workers can provide you with referrals to legal aid and lawyers. They can help you to understand the process and guide you through forms/documentation.
- If you need housing they can help you to fill out the applications for housing. If you are living with abuse (or recently separated) you may be eligible to be placed on a priority list with housing. If you want to apply for housing without your partner being aware of it, they can help you do this safely
- The shelter has a weekly confidential support group for women supporting each other. This is an open group that anyone may attend.
- If you need a safe place to keep paperwork or documents while developing a plan the shelter can store these items for you
- If you are not ready to leave your relationship but need a day or two to think and develop a plan, you can stay at the shelter and the staff will help support whatever you choose
- If you are currently using substances as a way to cope with the stressors in your life, this does not exclude you as a client. We will work with you with where you are at. Our goal is to help you to be safe - in all areas of your life
- Shelter workers go into our schools and attend groups to educate our community members on abuse and can work with students on issues such as healthy relationships and bullying.
- if you have to attend court and need someone to support you, a worker can go with you and help you through the process
if you need to contact the police or other agencies a worker can support you
If you are not sure if we can help - just call - if we can't
help you; we will find someone who can.